Auditions for the Lethbridge Musical Theatre / Chinook High School fall co-production of Disney’s Newsies are coming up!
Auditions will take place on Tuesday, June 4th from 5:00pm-10:00pm at Country Kitchen Catering (1715 Mayor Magrath Drive South, below the Keg) for any non-high school aged actors (19 and up), and Wednesday, June 5th from 5:00pm- 10:00pm at Chinook High School for anyone 18 and under.
For anyone currently under the age of 13 (Grade 8) wanting to audition, apologies, but we are not currently looking for any child performers at this time. HOWEVER, there may be a separate audition scheduled for the role of “Les” (Davey’s younger brother) at a later date. An audition notice will be posted in advance for this.
Audition slots will be 1 hour and 15 minutes each and will consist of groups of 12 actors working between 2 rooms, with 60 available slots per night. Please note that most audition slots will have a break in between segments to allow the previous groups to finish.
Please email our Stage Manager, Tyler Strang to schedule any Audition times and if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Audition times for each night are as follows:
- 5:00 – 6:15 p.m. (12 actors)
- 5:00 – 5:25 (group movement/dance audition)
- 5:25 – 6:15 (individual vocal audition)
- 5:40 – 7:05 p.m. (12 actors)
- 5:40 – 6:05 (group movement/dance audition)
- 6:15 – 7:05 (individual vocal audition)
- 6:25 – 7:55 p.m. (12 actors)
- 6:25 – 6:50 (group movement/dance audition)
- 7:05 – 7:55 (individual vocal audition)
- 7:15 – 9:05 p.m. (12 actors)
- 7:15 – 7:40 (group movement/dance audition)
- 8:15 – 9:05 (individual vocal audition)
- 8:00 – 9:55 p.m. (12 actors)
- 8:00 – 8:25 (group movement/dance audition)
- 9:05 – 9:55 (individual vocal audition)
Callbacks will take place on Thursday, June 6th, Tuesday, June 11th, and Thursday, June 13th (if necessary).
Vocal Audition Material – All the segments listed below are 40-90 seconds. This is by design.
Please prepare material according to your role interest!
- Jack Kelly – Leader of the Newsies – “Santa Fe” (end of Act 1)
- Page: 172/173 (measures 49-93)
- Katherine Plumber – Ambitious young reporter – “Watch What Happens”
- Page: 160/161 (measures 102-153)
- Crutchie/Davey – Manhattan Newsies with big solo/large character work – “Seize The Day”
- Page: 164 (measures 30-52)
- Manhattan/Brooklyn Newsies/Youth Chorus – Non-principal roles – “Carrying the Banner”
- Page 124 (measures 75-97)
- Joseph Pulitzer – No-nonsense Publisher of the world – “The Bottom Line”
- Page 135/136 (measures 37-70)
- Actors interested in the roles of: Seitz, Bunsen, or Hannah may also prepare this.
- Medda Larkin – Vaudeville star and theatre owner – “That’s Rich”
- Page 140/141 (measures 29-73)
All segments are attached and can also be provided via email if you are experiencing difficulties.
Please come to your audition prepared for dance/movement and vocal work.
Please bring a water bottle to your audition.
An audition form will be provided for you to fill out and return via email to Stage Management prior to May 31 at 6:00 p.m., along with an acting résumé and headshot if you have them available. If you cannot provide a headshot, stage management will request to take a photo of you for casting purposes.
Rehearsals will run from early September through October. The show hits the stage November 1-10, 2019.